2013 Holiday Program
Organize a holiday gift drive for Raphael House of Portland and help make the holidays bright for hundreds of local families. We need new, unwrapped gift items for women and children: clothing (all sizes/ages), toys, household items, kitchen supplies, beauty products, gift cards, bus passes, hygiene items & gift wrapping.
When: Drop off donations December 11th (10AM – 2PM) and 12th (3PM – 7PM)
Where: Donations can be dropped off at Sunnyside Church - 3520 SE Yamhill St. (Enter the building from 35th Ave.) Special drop-off arrangements can also be accommodated.
Every year more than 115 local families visit the Raphael House Holiday Program to pick out gifts for each other.
Of all the donation suggestions listed for our Holiday Program, wondering which are most important? We can help! Here are items that we tend to need more of:
- Kitchen supplies (silverware & dinnerware sets, glasses & mugs, cooking utensils, knives, pots & pans, mixing bowls, colanders, blenders, coffee makers, toaster ovens, crockpots, can openers, etc.)
- Household items (new pillows, twin sheet sets, bath towels & mats, laundry baskets, alarm clocks, hand vacuums, etc.)
- New clothing for women & children (especially underwear & socks, plus size items, warm outerwear like hoodies, jackets & pull-overs, boys and girls casual/school clothing sizes 5-16)
- Toys (interactive items – games, puzzles, craft kits, Legos, coloring books, etc.; items for teens – video games, sports equipment, etc.)
- Personal items (shampoo & conditioner, blow dryers, curling irons, African American hair products, deodorant, lotion, chapstick, razors, tampons, toothbrushes & paste, etc.)
- Special Items for moms (slippers, pajamas & robes, purses & wallets, accessories & jewelry, yoga pants & other comfortable clothing in all sizes, self pampering kits, etc.)
- General shelter supplies (batteries, HE dry laundry detergent, bleach, dishwashing liquid, scrubber sponges, Ziploc bags, 33 & 45 gallon heavy duty trash bags, 10-13 gallon light duty trash bags)
- Baby items (diapers especially sizes 4 – 6, pull-ups sizes 2T - 4T, shampoo, powder, lotion, toys)
- Gift cards (Target, Fred Meyers, Albertsons, Safeway, Walmart, Home Depot, Ross, etc. PLUS iTunes & Amazon as gifts for teenagers)
Click here to download a list of specific requests from children (with age and gender noted) and families who live in our shelter.
We have an Amazon wishlist set up here to give you an idea of the types of items families need - feel free to order directly from Amazon or to look for similar items in your local stores!
Planning a donation drive? Download our handy flier to pass out to your friends and coworkers!
Stay Connected: Like us on Facebook for program info & regular updates. And follow us on Twitter using #RHGiveHope13 to share about supporting our Holiday Gift Drive!
Donation Drop Off Day
Thursday, December 5 | 11AM - 2PM
Sunnyside Centenary United Methodist
3520 SE Yamhill St. Portland, OR 97214
Donation Drop Off is held the First Thursday of each month from 11AM-2PM and on the Third Thursday from 4-7PM at Sunnyside Centenary United Methodist Church. Donors should enter the building on 35th Ave.
The generous support of community donations makes our programs possible. The current state of the economy means that costs for providing food and clothing to the survivors and their children living in our shelter have risen dramatically. If you’re interested in making a donation or hosting a donation drive at your school, office or place of worship, please check our wish lists to see what we need most!
Urgent Shelter Needs:
Pillows - New, standard size bed pillows
Diapers - Size 6
African-American hair products (i.e. Motions, Soft sheen Carson, and Luster brand products - activating hair gel, hair relaxer, and hair grease)
Powdered Laundry Detergent - High Efficiency (HE)
Gift cards - Fred Meyers, Home Depot, Target, etc.
Donation Drive Ideas:
Sheets, Pillows and Blankets (twin size sheets and standard size pillows!)
Hair Care - full size shampoo and conditioner and/or African-American hair products (i.e. Motions, Soft sheen Carson, and Luster brand products - activating hair gel, hair relaxer, and hair grease)
Please note: due to space restrictions, we do not accept any used clothing, used toys or large furniture items.
Raphael House Holiday Food Donations
The holiday season can be especially challenging for families escaping domestic violence, so we strive to provide as much support as possible this time of year. The families we serve are invited to hold community and private celebrations in our shelter throughout November and December, according to their personal traditions and beliefs.
We do need a variety of special food items to support families during these celebrations. Whenever possible, we prefer to empower families to purchase the items they need most, so the most beneficial gift you can give is a gift card in any amount for local grocery stores & supermarkets! This allows families to serve their own traditional or culturally specific holiday foods.
Gift cards for Food4Less, Fred Meyers, QFC, or Safeway will help make the holidays bright for all the families in our programs!
If you prefer to donate actual food items, click here to download a list of needs and the dates/times of our Donation Drop Off Days. (Please limit food donations to the amounts listed – we have minimal storage space!)